I have learned many new things about rape through the documentary and the new concept of "gray rape". I feel that when many teenage girls picture rape they think of a creepy man in the alleyway who is coming to hurt them. Rape can be found in many different forms. I thought that it was astounding that the majority to rape victims are so young and also that the majority of the victims know the person who raped them previously. I think that it is scary to think that a person that we may know could potentially try to take advantage of us when we are vulnerable. The addition of alcohol to the situation can definitely also cause there to be a greater possibility of rape. I though that it was very interesting that alcohol is considered to be the number one date rape drug. Alcohol can definitely cloud the mind of a person and make them more likely to do things that they would not necessarily do when they are sober.
I also find the concept of "gray rape" to be very frightening. When both of the people that are having sex are intoxicated, who really is to blame? I truthfully never even thought of rape as having a gray area but the new concept that both people truly may not be aware of what they are doing does add a new layer to the possibilities of rape. This is the very reason why "gray rape" is very scary. No one in the situation is making the sound decision to have sex.
The most important that that I took away from the documentary was the idea of the buddy system. When I was first listening to the documentary, I thought that the idea of always having a friend with you was unnecessary. If we're going to be in college next year, can't we handle ourselves? However, I realized that having someone with you at all times especially if alcohol is involved will make everyone in the situation safer. Having a friend with you can help you to leave uncomfortable situations. A friend can also be there to knock some sense into you and make you not make rash decisions.
No comments:
Post a Comment